Justin Ramb, President and Sandra Marshall, VP of Client Services, Bigeye (Orlando, FL)
Justin Ramb is President and Sandra Marshal, VP of Client Services, at Bigeye, a full-service B2B and B2C agency that focuses on audiences, creative work, media and analytics, and data.
- Understand audience:
- Use primary and secondary research to discover who they are, where they consume media, what they look like, and what triggers them to convert
- Develop marketing personas that match two or three target audience personas
- Test strategies against those personas to ensure activities align with objectives
- Use current customer data to develop lookalike audience and personas based on existing data
- Develop personas based on where company wants to head. Is it looking to capture new clients or new types of clients? Supplement data with key stakeholder interviews, additional research, online research, and quantitative/qualitative research.
B2C: Bigeye utilizes specialized tools to learn about a client’s audience and customers
- As part of persona development, the agency tests messaging, colors, headlines, and photography for optimal audience response.
- Rather than resent the parameters of defined personas, the creative team appreciates understanding the target audience.
- Media and Analytics
- As part of persona development, the agency explores media usage.
- Media develops a persona-based media plan and begins placement in that media
- Utilizing Google Analytics and custom dashboards, the Analytics team tracks establishes targets and KPIs
- 24/7 analytics data provides information about how things are performing.
- Data answered the questions: Where can things be optimized? How are conversions going? Do the real audiences align with those targeted?
Bigeye started in 2002. In this interview, Justin describes the chaos of those early years and the ultimate discovery that the agency’s greatest success was driven by hiring team members who were committed, skilled, and aligned with the agency’s direction. Sandra added that the agency also has to “arm” new employees with “the appropriate support,” foster a sense of collaboration, and avoid over-siloization.
Justin outlines the updated review and review cycle program (structured through a program called Lattice) the agency uses to keep everything running smoothly. Every two weeks team members submit a four-question online survey that covers how they’re doing, what roadblocks they have, and anything they want their manager to know. Every quarter, team members submit three or four agency- and personal-growth goals. These are used to project the agency’s direction in the subsequent quarter.
Finding a mentor, someone a step or two ahead, can help a startup avoid pitfalls. Justin comments that if you find an outside counsel and can afford that person, it’s probably not too early. He also mentions ways to find such help for free. He says strategic, balanced growth is healthy growth and believes that a company that is not growing is dying.
Justin and Sandra can be found on their agency’s website at Bigeyeagency.com, where visitors will find an “incredibly updated” blog.